Between Lenses / 06 “Dream”

Okay! Can I just say how incredibly fun this month’s Between Lenses was? Capturing the essence of a “dream” is something both Tara and myself knew would be challenging… but fun! And man, was it fun.

Between Lenses with Tara Victoria & Of Trees and Hues
Imagery by Of Trees and Hues

A dream, in the literal sense, is a collection of images, ideas and emotions all involuntarily intertwined. The whole idea has always fascinated me. I remember as a child I would try so hard to remember my dreams, now I can easily wake recollecting a dozen fanciful dreams I’ve had the night before.

I am definitely a dreamer — in every aspect of the word. And with such a unique + challenging theme as this, I definitely wanted to do my best to capture what I feel as though a dream truly is — a whirlwind of imagery, emotion and movement.

Whimsical, layers, texture and softness — I knew these are the elements I wanted my photograph to have. The entire shooting process was so much fun and consisted of techniques I have never used before. One of which involved honey droplets against a window pane. No kidding! That’s the orange color you see in the left corner, an incredibly close up of a honey droplet. I’m telling you, I had almost too much fun with this one! And that’s what I love about this series, it really gives you the opportunity to do absolutely anything. To be creative and try new things.

To really bring to life the imagery that’s floating around in your head.

For me, my photograph, is a close up of something much, much bigger — however, sometimes in our dreams we don’t always see the full picture, and I find that pretty intriguing!

Imagery by Tara Victoria

After Tara and I choose our theme, we don’t tell one another our concept ideas or what we’re planning on shooting — and I think that’s what makes it so much fun. So when Tara sent over her photo, I immediately got chill bumps. This girl is incredibly hard working and I just love that dream truly represented her and her aspirations. I am so unbelievably proud & happy for her and just love ( love! ) her space. It’s just perfect — and truly Tara.

Be sure to visit Tara Victoria to see exactly what the word “dream” means to her and how her work space represents that. It’s truly an inspiring story!

Tara and I had such an incredible time capturing what we feel as though “dream” represents to us — and we’d love for you to join us! You can easily link up with us via the following steps:

1. Create your blog post and feel free to use the header image in which you can download here.
2. Copy your blog post’s url.
3. Notice where it says Click here to enter — click that and follow the easy instructions. Be sure to only link up with one of our blogs, not both. No worries — since mine and Tara’s blogs are interlinked, your blog post will show up on both!
4. And for fun, you can share your photo on Instagram & Twitter using the #BetweenLenses hashtag.

Our goal for this collaboration is to capture & reflect upon life, to cultivate inspiration among one another and to connect with other bloggers. And we hope that you’re one of them!

The up & coming Between Lenses themes:

For those of you who have been participating ( and those who plan to! ) Tara and I have went ahead and scheduled out the next few month’s worth of themes. They’re goodies!

no. 07 Thursday, July 17th // Movement
no. 08 Tuesday, August 12th // Symmetry
no. 09 Tuesday, September 9th // Silence

16 comments on “Between Lenses / 06 “Dream””

1. Tori says:

Ladies, these photos are quite the dream (groans!). Trina, I love your soft focus and mist-like quality of your image, the colour (that orange is really lovely) and the fact you went all out to produce something very different (I mean, honey droplets?! I’ve never even seen honey NOT in a jar!!)

And Tara? I’m with Trina on this one, it’s amazing to see that you’ve captured your life as it is – you are living the dream, and that’s bloody wonderful! I’m still having a go with my ideas, hopefully I’ll link up very soon! Also, the next 3 in the series are AWESOME – you gals are hitting it outta the ballpark with these ideas!

• latrina says:

Thank you so much, Tori! I have totally forgotten just how much fun experimental photography ( or art in general! ) is and I just had so much fun. And that’s one of the many reasons why I just *love* this series. :)

I do hope you join us, Tori! I would love to get to know you more through imagery… especially into your dreams. :) You know — in a totally non creepy kind of way. ;)

2. Yuni says:

I love this series, too. Always looking forward to seeing what kind of picture you two take for the series. Anyroad… your photo is so dreamy! And I love that you used honey for the shoot. Sweet! Haha. Now head over to Tara’s blog to see her story.

• latrina says:

Thank you, Yuni! And thanks for following our series. :) Tara and I have so much fun with it! And especially looking forward to the next few months. It’s going to be good ones. :)

3. Dani says:

I haven’t really done anything creative with my camera in a while, or thought outside the box with photography recently, so thanks for your challenge because it made me do that and it was a lot of fun!

• latrina says:

I am *so* happy to hear that, Dani! That’s the main reason why Tara and I started this series — to really inspire people to capture more. To learn + experience more through imagery. And we’re soo happy you joined us this month! :)

4. bri says:

love it! definitely doing this one. although is it totally cheating if i choose a photo of my kids sleeping ;) cause you know i have, like, millions of photos like that!

• latrina says:

Haha, I bet you do! :P When I told my husband about this month’s theme — he made sure to tell me I wasn’t allowed to get a photo of him sleeping. :P

5. Diana says:

Your image is just stunning! I definitely stopped and stared at it for a while — it’s kind of unexpectedly complex. I just love the layers and the honey droplet is a stroke of genius.

I’m with Dani — I haven’t been doing much of anything creative with my camera, so I’m hoping to jump on this idea!

• latrina says:

Oh, Diana! You know that means SO much coming from you. Really! Thank you. :) And oh man.. I would looove it if you joined us! :) :)

6. I have yet to go check out Tara’s post, but after reading your’s, I cannot wait! I LOVE your photo… may love your description of dreams even more. :)

• latrina says:

Thank you, Sarah! Tara’s imagery + description of her dream is just beautiful. I love it and it just screams her. <3

I'm not going to lie -- the whole idea of "dreams" definitely inspires me. Always have! So I had a lot of fun with this one. ;)

7. Both these photos are gorgeous and I love your description of dreams ! x

8. Natasha says:

Yuuus I love that you two have scheduled out the themes in advance! I keep missing the deadlines, I really wanted to participate in dreams but this darn cold had other ideas …

I would love to see some other images you got as a result of experimenting for this theme, because that photo is the definition of dreamy!

• latrina says:

Thanks, Natasha! I hope you join us next time! August’s theme is going to be a fun one too. :)

And thank you! I may have to share the others sometime soon. :)